Software Engineer posted by Hyre
About Foursquare: www.foursquare.com
Foursquare helps you and your friends make the most of where you are. We're a small but highly ambitious company with millions of users worldwide relying on Foursquare to keep up with friends, discover what's nearby, save money and unlock deals. We’re also helping over a million registered merchants ranging from local businesses to global brands connect with their customers.
To thrive as a member of team Foursquare, you must embrace our exciting work-hard, play-hard environment. We're not afraid to move fast and break things as we release, launch, iterate, update and announce -- sometimes all in the same day. We're a closely-knit team and, especially at the end of a long day over beers, we feel like we're inventing the future together.
About our Software Engineer position:
As a member of Foursquare’s engineering team, we want you to bring experience building real products in the real world from the ground up. Your teammates should see you as a programming expert and go to you with their toughest problems. You should be comfortable jumping in the deep end and learning new skills on a bleeding edge platform (Scala, Lift, and MongoDB).
Join us and help bring our feature ideas (and your own!) off the whiteboard and into reality. Here are some high level areas you could help with:
- Scale our architecture and improve performance to handle 1M new users each month
- Launch features that make cities easier to explore
- Build intelligent distributed systems to harness hundreds of terabytes of data [and growing] using hadoop, hive, scalding, sstables, and more
- Experiment with game mechanics to see what encourages users to do things in the offline world (have you unlocked the Warhol badge?)
Our engineers play a key role in product development, from concept to launch, so be ready to bring your creative ideas to the table. And because we push new versions of the website and API multiple times a week, it won't take long to get your work out in front of our millions of users.
You can join our engineering team at our San Francisco (SoMa) or New York City (SoHo) headquarters. We offer competitive compensation packages including generous equity options and full benefits for everyone.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field preferred
- 5+ years experience building products for fast growing web or mobile products
- Strong Java experience or, even better, experience and/or interest in Scala
- Bonus points for experience using Hive, Hadoop, Flume, or Mapreduce
- Comfortable in a small, intense and high-growth start-up environment